With Donald Trump all but certainly the GOP presidential nominee, everyone has turned to the question of whom he will select as his running mate.We reported yesterday the role that former rival Ben Carson will play in the process, as well as Trump’s comments that he was open to former rivals Gov. John Kasich and even Sen. Ted Cruz as potential vice presidents.
This morning, the presumptive GOP nominee put odds around the likelihood he will choose one of his former GOP primary rivals as running mate. He told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” there’s “probably a 40 percent chance” he’ll pick someone who ran in the GOP primary.For those of glass-half-empty folks among us, that means there’s probably a 60% chance Trump’s pick will be someone who didn’t run against him in the GOP primary.
Via The Hill:
Trump on Thursday told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that there’s “probably a 40 percent chance” he’ll pick someone who ran in the GOP primary.“I’ve gotten to be friends with a lot of those people and I guess perhaps enemies with a couple,” he said. “I would said there’s a good 40 percent chance.”
Trump has begun the vetting process for his vice presidential pick, spurring what will likely be months of rumors and speculation about his eventual choice.
Trump told The Washington Post on Wednesday that Kasich is “rising rapidly” in his mind, but he threw some cold water on the idea Thursday morning.
“I’ve had a good relationship with him and I really got along with him well,” Trump told CNBC. “I would say probably it’s unlikely that it will be John, I’m not even sure John wants it.”Well, that’s a relief. Notice that, on the other hand, Trump didn’t specifically walk back comments about a potential Cruz running mate.
Many have suggested Trump would do well to choose a more conservative running mate to help unify the party and motivate the more conservative branches of the GOP base to get out on election day.
Who would y’all like to see as Trump’s running mate?
[Note: This article was written by Michelle Jesse, Associate Editor]