A couple months ago, none of us would have been at all surprised to hear that Sen. Marco Rubio had no interest in being presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump’s running mate. He said as much just two months ago, shortly after suspending his campaign for the Republican nomination. Not only would a Trump nomination fracture the party and damage the conservative movement, Rubio noted, “I’m not going to be anybody’s vice president,” he told reporters at the time.
But recently, Rubio had appeared to soften on Trump, recently surprising many of us by saying the frontrunner’s “performance has improved significantly” and that he would support the eventual Republican nominee.
Rubio’s softened stance, along with the presumptive nominee’s comments that he could consider him for a position in his administration, led many to wonder what kind of talks might be going on behind the scenes.
Well, today, Sen. Rubio moved to quash any speculation about him as a potential Trump vice presidential candidate. He took to Facebook to clarify his views.
Via Politico:Marco Rubio on Monday unequivocally ruled out being Donald Trump’s running mate, insisting that he never sought, won’t seek and doesn’t want to be considered for Trump’s veep slot.
The real estate mogul has said he will name a Republican, most likely with political experience, to be his running mate. Trump has also hinted that his vice presidential pick may be one of the 16 candidates who challenged him in the Republican primary. He told Fox News host Bill O’Reilly last week he “could certainly consider” Rubio — but the Florida senator isn’t interested.“While Republican voters have chosen Donald Trump as the presumptive GOP nominee, my previously stated reservations about his campaign and concerns with many of his policies remain unchanged,” he said in a statement to CNN. “He will be best served by a running mate and by surrogates who fully embrace his campaign.”
Rubio said he will instead focus on representing the people of Florida and helping the Senate maintain its majority.
“I have never sought, will not seek and do not want to be considered for Vice President,” Rubio said.
Rubio joins a growing list of people who have ruled out running alongside Trump, including Ohio Sen. Rob Portman; Govs. Rick Scott of Florida, Nikki Haley of South Carolina and Susana Martinez of New Mexico; and former presidential candidates Ben Carson and John Kasich.
Of course, this is still politics and, in politics, it’s ever so common to say “I’ll never…” and “I’m not interested…” and ultimately change one’s position — Speaker of the House Paul Ryan being a very recent and prominent example.
Even so, you have to wonder, what are all these so-called “establishment” types like Rubio up to in their apparent quest to distance themselves from the presumptive GOP nominee?
[Note: This article was written by Michelle Jesse, Associate Editor]