While Hillary Clinton has blacklisted herself from press conferences for 274 days (before having a brief press conference that she ended early due to a coughing fit), Trump has had a personal blacklist of media outlets of his own.
Previously, Trump’s campaign had denied press credentials to The Washington Post, BuzzFeed, Univision, the Daily Beast, Politico, and other news organizations that provided what was deemed to be “unfair coverage.” Regardless of what you think of the blacklist, Trump is right that all those organizations slant heavily leftward, and unapologetically so.
As Hillary (kind of, but not really) ended her absence from press conferences, Trump’s attitude towards the press is changing as well. As The Hill reports: Starting Thursday, the campaign will approve their credential requests, a campaign spokeswoman confirmed Wednesday.
“I figure they can’t treat me any worse!” Trump said about the blacklist, according to CNN’s Brian Stelter.
Mike Pence, Trump’s running mate, had publicly said five weeks ago that he was looking into the blacklist and suggested he would encourage Trump to end it.
The Republican nominee has made criticism of the press a major theme of his campaign. He railed against the media during a campaign rally in North Carolina on Tuesday night. “She’s being protected by the media, by the press, like nobody has ever been protected in the history of this country,” Trump said Tuesday of Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee.
“Me on the other hand, it’s a total pile-on. Actually, a couple of media people have said in the history of this country there has been nobody who has been hit so viciously, so violently, and I will tell you, so ridiculously unfairly as Donald Trump. I’m proud to do it for you folks.”
Their lack of press credentials hasn’t stopped them from giving slanted coverage of Trump’s campaign, so what difference does it really make? At least he’ll speak to the press, unlike his competitor.
[Note: This post was written by The Analytical Economist]