On May 16th, Fox News reported that Seth Rich, the late DNC staffer who was murdered last year, was actually the man responsible for leaking tens of thousands of DNC emails to Wikileaks. It was implied from there that Rich’s murder (which the police deemed to be a botched robbery, though nothing on Rich was stolen) was tied to his status as the leaker.Fox retracted the story yesterday, stating “The article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting. Upon appropriate review, the article was found not to meet those standards and has since been removed.” Among one of the errors was the claim that a “federal source” said the FBI conducted a forensic analysis of Rich’s computer and discovered that he had thousands of emails with Wikileaks, but the FBI has never had possession of Rich’s laptop, and thus could not have conducted a forensic analysis.
Despite the retraction, host Sean Hannity had kept going against the grain at the network, pushing the conspiracy based on the fact that internet entrepreneur “Kim Dotcom” made a public statement on his website Kim.com claiming “I KNOW THAT SETH RICH WAS INVOLVED IN THE DNC LEAK. I know this because in late 2014 a person contacted me about helping me to start a branch of the Internet Party in the United States. He called himself Panda. I now know that Panda was Seth Rich. Panda advised me that he was working on voter analytics tools and other technologies that the Internet Party may find helpful. I communicated with Panda on a number of topics including corruption and the influence of corporate money in politics.”
Very interesting. My heart is not troubled in the least. Night all. https://t.co/MgOow2XVYu
— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) May 23, 2017
Ok TO BE CLEAR, I am closer to the TRUTH than ever. Not only am I not stopping, I am working harder. Updates when available. Stay tuned!— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) May 24, 2017
A segment from my radio show today, I stand by everything I said & have said on this topic. More at 10pm tonight. https://t.co/hsWP0s2fcT
— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) May 24, 2017
While still pushing the conspiracy on Twitter following Fox’s retraction, he did announce on his television show that it wouldn’t be a topic he would be discussing on television out of respect for the Rich family.
As The Blaze reported:“The unsolved murder of former DNC staffer Seth Rich continues to get a huge amount of attention,” Hannity began. “Now I want to say something. I totally completely understand how upset, how hard this is on the family, especially over the recent coverage of Seth’s death.”
“Now, I have been communicating with them,” he continued, “I got a very heartfelt note, I also sent them a heartfelt note back. I reached out personally to Seth’s brother, Aaron. I expressed my condolence out over how hard, how difficult this has been for him and his family. And as I told Aaron, my heart, my soul, my prayers, everything, goes out to them in this very difficult time. I’m a father. I know, I personally, I don’t think I’d ever recover from losing a child, or a brother. I honestly don’t think I would. I cannot imagine the pain that they are in.”
“And as a father when I saw the video of the parents online saying they want answers,” he added, “and I know the brother Aaron started a GoFundMe page. It truly pained me. However, out of respect for the family’s wishes, for now, I am not discussing this matter at this time.”
Let’s hope Hannity gets closer to the truth, and doesn’t get muzzled by Fox News in the meantime.