Ryan confirms he WON’T run, but drops MAJOR CLUE about who could be nominee

Getty Images

House Speaker Paul Ryan took to the podium this afternoon in an attempt to quell the rampant speculation about the possibility of him throwing his hat in the ring for the 2016 presidential race.

As anticipated, Ryan declared rather definitively that he will not run for president this year. However, if you were listening closely, you could hear a major hint in Ryan’s comments about who might indeed be in the running at the Republican National Convention this summer.

Via Reuters:

Advertisement - story continues below

House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan said on Tuesday he would reject any attempt to draft him as a presidential candidate, trying to silence speculation that he could surface as a unity choice should Donald Trump or Ted Cruz falter.

“Let me be clear: I do not want nor will I accept the nomination of our party,” Ryan said in remarks at the Republican National Committee.

Ryan, the top elected Republican in Washington and the party’s 2012 vice presidential candidate, has been the subject of persistent speculation that he could emerge as the nominee if an impasse over the party’s pick develops at the July 18-21 Republican National Convention in Cleveland.

Ryan responded to questions about his previous declarations he wouldn’t be Speaker by noting the comparison between that and the current presidential chatter is “apples to oranges”; with the speakership, Ryan notes he was already IN Congress serving, whereas he’s not in the race for president at all this time around.

When asked if the Republican nominee should be one of the three still actively running — Donald Trump, Ted Cruz or John Kasich — Ryan reiterated a message he’d delivered earlier in the day, dropping a major clue about who ultimately might be in the running in Cleveland this summer.

“…My strong opinion is, if it goes to an open convention … my answer is the delegates should pick among the people who actually ran for president this year …

Note the word choice here: “the people who actually ran for president this year” — which, of course, includes Marco Rubio, Scott Walker, Jeb Bush and several others. We’ve shared previously how Rubio, for one, has decided to hold onto his 172 delegates — and, heck, he’s STILL ahead of Kasich’s 144, even after suspending his bid weeks ago.

Which raises another key point: ever wondered why the candidates who’ve “dropped out” of the race say they’re “suspending” — rather than “ending” — their bids? Yup, technically all these guys are still in the race.

So, while Ryan’s declaration today could, perhaps, end speculation about the speaker’s own run, it most certainly won’t end speculation about which of the other so-called “establishment” types might end up on the ballot in Cleveland.

[Note: This article was written by Michelle Jesse, Associate Editor]

Shady firm behind Trump dossier stonewalling investigators after big payday

Shady firm behind Trump dossier stonewalling investigators after big payday

ISIS terrorist blows himself up; it backfires on his own leaders

ISIS terrorist blows himself up; it backfires on his own leaders

TEST