In the wake of the deadly terrorist attack at an Ariana Grande concert, many are wondering what we can do to combat the growing problem of Islamic terrorism. Some from the politically-correct left have suggested that we should simply “get used to terrorism.” Of course, for most of us, that’s not an acceptable solution.
Perhaps it’s not surprising those on the left feel this way. After all, after 8 years of timid Obama policies, terrorist organizations have been allowed to spread virtually unopposed. However, now that President Trump has taken over in Washington, he’s been taking a more proactive approach.
Most know that combating terrorism has been a top priority for President Trump. Nowhere was that more clear than in his recent visit to Saudi Arabia and Israel, where he called on world leaders to come together to defeat this vicious ideology.
However, Trump isn’t all talk and no action. In response to an ISIS attack that killed an American soldier, Trump authorized the use of the largest non-nuclear bomb in America’s arsenal to destroy an ISIS tunneling system. But if that’s not evidence enough, a new report proves that Trump is very different than the Obama in taking the fight to ISIS.
From USA Today:The U.S.-led coalition has increased the number of bombs dropped on the Islamic State by about 50% this year, reflecting the progress U.S.-backed ground forces have had in pushing militants out of key strongholds in Iraq and Syria.
A total of 14,192 rockets, bombs and other munitions were dropped in the first four months of this year, up from 9,442 during the same period in 2016, according to the latest monthly statistics from U.S. Air Forces Central Command.The expansion of airstrikes “can be attributed to the increased pace of operations in both Iraq and Syria as we target and destroy ISIS,” Lt. Col. Damien Pickart, a spokesman for Air Forces Central Command, said Tuesday, using an acronym for the Islamic State.
Part of the reason for the increase in attacks is President Trump has freed military leaders to use their judgement on the battlefield:
The increase comes as President Trump has given battlefield commanders more authority to approve airstrikes and raids, which has quickened response times. “He delegated authority to the right level to aggressively and in a timely manner move against enemy vulnerabilities,” Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said last week.
Under former president Barack Obama, many of those decisions were reserved for the military’s highest levels.
Before this, decisions regarding strikes and operations had to go through a prolonged approval process. Oftentimes, the long process resulted in targets moving or being tipped off, limiting the effectiveness of our operations. The process under the Obama administration was often frustrating for military leaders, limiting their ability to effectively carry out attacks.
President Trump has chosen to put his trust in our great military leaders. Clearly, the approach is starting to pay off. With the world on edge over terrorism, it’s important we keep taking the fight to the enemy.
[Note: This post was written by Michael Lee. Follow him on Twitter @UAMichaelLee]