As Europe — and the world — remains on high alert following Tuesday’s terror attacks in Brussels, authorities appear to have foiled another attack at an “advanced stage.”
Authorities have arrested a French national suspected of planning an attack, according to Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve. The plan was at an “advanced stage” and the person arrested was implicated at a “high level,” Cazeneuve said, accusing the individual of belonging to a terror network that planned to strike within France.
Developing story – more to come
We learn more from Global News:
A Frenchman in the “advanced stages” of a plot to attack the country was arrested Thursday northwest of Paris and security forces locked down the area during a major search, France’s interior minister said.
Bernard Cazeneuve said “there were no links “at this stage” between the plot and the attacks against Brussels this week or Paris in November.Cazeneuve said bomb squads were on site. The raid took place in Argenteuil, on the northern outskirts of the French capital. He noted that the person arrested was implicated at a “high level” in the plot, but offered no details. Witnesses told France’s i-Tele network that the immediate area had been locked down, and residents were unable to return home.
Of course, we all fear that there may be countless others lurking in the works, but it is nonetheless encouraging to see some of the counterterrorism investigations yielding fruit.
The other scary part to consider here is the fact that the Brussels terror attacks reportedly were moved forward after one of the suspects was captured just a few days earlier. Let’s certainly pray something similar doesn’t happen in this latest arrest.
[Note: This article was written by Michelle Jesse, Associate Editor]