It didn’t take long before Iran began violating the Iran Nuclear Deal — which should’ve been obvious given that the Ayatollah was still publicly chanting “Death to America” as the deal was underway. It was first reported back in October 2015 Iran had engaged in a test firing of a ballistic missile — a move the State Department didn’t consider a violation of the deal (but still should’ve raised some eyebrows, as prior UN resolutions prohibit it).
In the days following the 2016 election, Iran clearly violated the deal when they surpassed the 130 metric tonne threshold for heavy water, a material used as a moderator in reactors — for the second time.
And now, they’ve done it again. As Fox News reported:
Iran conducted its first ballistic missile test under Donald Trump’s presidency, in yet another apparent violation of a United Nations resolution, U.S. officials told Fox News exclusively on Monday.
Fox News learns Iran conducted ballistic missile launch Sunday in apparent violation of UN resolution #FoxNews
— Bret Baier (@BretBaier) January 30, 2017
The launch occurred at a well-known test site outside Semnan, about 140 miles east of Tehran, on Sunday. The Khorramshahr medium-range ballistic missile flew 600 miles before exploding, in a failed test of a reentry vehicle, officials said. Iran defense minister Brigadier Gen. Hossein Dehqan said in September that Iran would start production of the missile.
U.N. resolution 2231 — put in place days after the Iran nuclear deal was signed — calls on the Islamic Republic not to conduct such tests. However, this is at least Iran’s second such test since July. The resolution bars Iran from conducting ballistic missile tests for eight years and went into effect July 20, 2015.
Iran is “called upon not to undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles designed to be capable of delivering nuclear weapons, including launches using such ballistic missile technology,” according to the text of the resolution.
The landmark nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, however, does not include provisions preventing Iran from conducting ballistic missile tests, and Iran claims the tests are legitimate because they are not designed to carry a nuclear warhead. The White House said in a statement that “A ballistic missile launch could potentially fall under “destabilizing regional activities.”
This news comes after President Donald Trump and Saudi King Salman spoke and agreed to “vigorously” enforce the terms of the Iran Nuclear Deal, despite Trump’s longstanding opposition to it.
Meanwhile, in response to Trump’s temporary ban on travel from a number of countries last week (including Iran), Iran has banned Americans from entering their country.
There goes everyone’s spring break plans.
[Note: This post was written by Matt Palumbo. Follow him on Twitter @MattPalumbo12]