Just days after North Korea’s failed missile launch, they’re threatening to attack the U.S. Given that their last missile launch failed immediately, and that journalists at NK’s most recent military parade noticed that a number of the weapons looked fake (for instance, one alleged missile appeared to have been made out of papier-mâché), it’s unclear what the communist state is expecting to attack us with.
According to The Blaze:
North Korean state-run media has claimed that the country will launch a “super-mighty preemptive strike” against the United States following statements by members of President Donald Trump’s administration that the U.S. intends to increase pressure on the Hermit Kingdom, Reuters reported Thursday.
The government’s Rodong Sinmun newspaper reported: “In the case of our super-mighty preemptive strike being launched, it will completely and immediately wipe out not only U.S. imperialists’ invasion forces in South Korea and its surrounding areas but the U.S. mainland and reduce them to ashes.”
The threat comes after Vice President Mike Pence declared earlier this week that the “era of strategic patience” with North Korea is over.
Reuters reported that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told reporters Wednesday that the U.S. is “reviewing all the status of North Korea, both in terms of state sponsorship of terrorism as well as the other ways in which we can bring pressure on the regime in Pyongyang to re-engage with us, but re-engage with us on a different footing than past talks have been held.”The North Korean regime has recently conducted missile and nuclear tests, which the Trump administration sees as a provocation.
This year, North Korea’s most successful ballistic missile launch came from their Tongchang-ri launch site in early March, when four missiles were launched. One flew a maximum of 620 miles before falling into the Sea of Japan. Their missile with the longest range, the Hwasong-10, has a maximum range of 2485 miles. For a point of reference, the distance between NorK and Los Angeles is roughly 6000 miles.In response, James Mattis told reporters earlier today that the USS Carl Vinson carrier will be heading to North Korea, and will arrive next week. This comes over a week after Trump told Fox Business’ Maria Bartiromo on April 12th, “We are sending an armada. Very powerful. We have submarines. Very powerful. Far more powerful than the aircraft carrier. That, I can tell you.”
Presumably, our warships will be met with a barrage of papier-mâché.
[Note: This post was written by Matt Palumbo. Follow him on Twitter @MattPalumbo12]