The “Islamophobia” narrative made an unwelcome return in 2016. While it’s undeniable some people are prejudiced towards Muslims, that does not justify the term, popularized largely by the Council on American Islamic Relations to silence any criticism of Islam, no matter how legitimate.
In the wake of Donald Trump’s campaign and victory, plenty of headlines have claimed there’s been a surge in hate crimes against Muslims thanks to the man’s rhetoric. One from Al Jazeera reads “FBI: Hate crimes against Muslims in US surge 67 percent.” While true, it was a 67 percent increase from 154 in 2014 to 257 in 2015, and only composes 4.4 percent of hate crimes motivated by race or ethnicity (how “Islamophobic” attacks were categorized). When America has a Muslim population of 3.3 million, 257 hate crimes hardly reflect a nation that’s dangerous for Muslims.
In fact, there’s a religious group that suffers just a tad more discrimination about which liberals seem silent: Jews. In fact, hate crimes against Jews were three times the rate against Muslims (and double that of blacks).
That aside, if we we’re to look at religious persecution at a global level, it’s not a Muslims or Jews who are bearing the brunt of it: it’s Christians.As NewsBusters reported: Here’s a study you won’t find in any of the major-media headlines. According to the Director of the Centre for Studies on New Religions (Cesnur), Massimo Introvigne, Christians are the most persecuted religious group in the world, with over 90,000 Christians killed in 2016 alone. Introvigne told Vatican Radio that there are nearly half a billion Christians who are unable to express or practice fully their Christian faith. Referring to statistics from the Centre for the Study of Global Christianity, Introvigne said of those 90,000 Christians persecuted in 2016, 70 percent of them were murdered in Africa due to tribal conflicts: “The other 30 per cent, or 27,000, were killed in terror attacks, the destruction of Christian villages, or government persecution.”
Due to be fully released next month, these statistics show a decline of 15,000 in the number of Christians killed, compared to the 105,000 killed in 2015.
While speaking at a press conference at the UN headquarters in Geneva, the Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo, Syria said that the situation in Aleppo is even worse than in the rest of Syria, reporting that report – that in five years alone, the Syrian Christian population had been reduced from 1.5 million to around 500,000 because of its civil war. The city of Aleppo has seen its number of Christians reduced from 160,000 to around 40,000 because of persecution from Islamic terrorists.
Despite that last fact, here’s a depressing statistic: of over 10,000 Syrian refugees that we’ve admitted to the U.S., only 56 were Christian.
[Note: This post was authored by Matt Palumbo. Follow him on Twitter @MattPalumbo12]