It seems like only yesterday the Republicans could barely fit their candidates on the stage. After last night only two candidates remain that can win the race (mathematically speaking), but Kasich hasn’t dropped out despite that fact.
Today Trump announced that he would be skipping yet another Republican Presidential debate – and he has company. After Trump’s announcement, Kasich then also backed out of the debate, which is on track to become a Cruz rally.
That was until Fox canceled Monday’s debate. Judging by MSN’s account of events, this may mark an end to the Republican primary debates:
The Republicans have reportedly canceled Monday’s scheduled debate after GOP front-runner Donald Trump announced he would not attend.
“I think we’ve had enough debates,” Trump said Wednesday on Fox News, which was to have hosted the debate.Trump said he only recently learned about the Monday Salt Lake City debate and already has a commitment that same night. The GOP front-runner is scheduled to address the American Israel Public Affairs Committee’s annual conference that same day.
Fox News confirmed reports that the debate has been canceled, as The Wall Street Journal reports:After 1 p.m., Fox News, which was to host and broadcast the event, said it had been cancelled. In a statement, Fox News Channel Executive Vice President of News Michael Clemente said that Sen. Ted Cruz, the third Republican still in the running, “expressed a willingness to debate Trump or Kasich — or both.”
“But obviously, there needs to be more than one participant,” he wrote in a statement. “So the Salt Lake City debate is cancelled.”
It’s hard to not speculate that Trump fears a head-to-head debate with Ted Cruz — but we’ll see what happens when another network tries to schedule a Republican debate.
[Note: This post was authored by Matt Palumbo. Follow him on Twitter @Mattpalumbo12]