Both conspiracy alarmist and rational pundits alike expressed concern when a few years into the Obama administration word began to leak out that the National Security Agency (NSA) had begun construction of a positively massive new data-collection and storage facility in rural Utah. Of course the facility was shrouded in “you don’t need to know” and of course it was hugely expensive. Forbes.com at the time reported;
“The NSA will soon cut the ribbon on a facility in Utah built to help house and process data collected from telephone and Internet companies, satellites, fiber-optic cables and anywhere else it can plant listening devices.”
“… the massive, multi-building site is a set of four identical data halls; they are flanked by buildings containing power sources, batteries and back-up generators, as well as an administrative building and a kennel (dogs are part of the site’s security plan).”
“…It’s surrounded by cooling and power equipment, which take up a goodly part of the floor space, leaving just over 25,000 square feet per building for data storage, or 100,000 square feet for all four buildings, which is the equivalent of a Wal-Mart superstore.”
All of this activity caused many to rightfully wonder – on whom is government collecting all this information and why? We now have at least a part of the answer.
Through their relentless email hacking abilities, Wikileaks has released information that seems to confirm that in addition to collecting data on you and me, the Obama administration had been spying on the United Nations, Benjamin Netanyahu and various other world leaders.In a page on its website titled “NSA Targets World Leaders for US Geopolitical Interests” Julian Assange and crew have spilled the beans on just how truly nefarious our previous administration had been.
Thanks to the Gateway Pundit, here’s the list:* The US National Security Agency bugged a private climate change strategy meeting; between UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon and German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin;
* Obama bugged Chief of Staff of UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) for long term interception targetting his Swiss phone;
* Obama singled out the Director of the Rules Division of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), Johann Human, and targetted his Swiss phone for long term interception;
* Obama stole sensitive Italian diplomatic cables detailing how Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu implored Italy’s Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to help patch up his relationship with US President Barack Obama, who was refusing to talk to Netanyahu;
* Obama intercepted top EU and Japanese trade ministers discussing their secret strategy and red lines to stop the US “extort[ing]” them at the WTO Doha arounds (the talks subsequently collapsed);
* Obama explicitly targeted five other top EU economic officials for long term interception, including their French, Austrian and Belgium phone numbers;
* Obama explicitly targetted the phones of Italy’s ambassador to NATO and other top Italian officials for long term interception; and
* Obama intercepted details of a critical private meeting between then French president Nicolas Sarkozy, Merkel and Berluscon, where the latter was told the Italian banking system was ready to “pop like a cork”.
Plus, remember the outrage when members of the press, including Associate Press reporters, and CBS reporter Sharyl Attkisson reported THEIR computers had been hacked? C’mon folks. The Obama administration has been doing this for years.
To top it all off, for all their supposed concern about conservation, being green, etc., the new NSA center is a resource-consuming pig. The Salt Lake City Tribune reported that the data center is sucking up water to the tune of 18,209 (taxpayer funded) dollars per month! Asked about the facility’s huge consumption rates NSA spokeswoman Vanee Vines declined to comment saying, “We are unable to discuss the secure operations of the Utah Data Center.”
Seems there’s a lot more going on that they’re “unable to discuss” than water use.
[Note: This article was written by Derrick Wilburn]