According to a report published first in the Army Times, and followed up on Fox News, the Department of Defense has awarded a construction contract to an Afghan company with ties to Islamic terrorism. The Army Times reports:
Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction John Sopko cited the contract with Zurmat Material Testing Laboratory in a Nov. 8 letter to Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel as part of a larger pattern resulting in $150 million of Pentagon payments to various concerns with insurgent ties.
“The idea that U.S. taxpayer dollars are flowing into the hands of terrorist groups bent on killing Americans is unthinkable and unacceptable,” Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., a member of the Senate’s Armed Services and Foreign Relations committees, reportedly said in a statement on the matter.
The U.S. Commerce Department noted the relationship between Zurmat and insurgents in early 2012 by citing the company having supplied bomb-making materials to enemy forces, according to Army Times. Then – and in September of 2012 – Marine Gen. James Mattis, who was at the time head of U.S. Central Command, reportedly requested the Pentagon ban the Zurmat Group, Zurmat Material Testing Laboratory’s parent company, from doing work in the region under his auspices.
Of course General Mattis is one of the senior officers who was forced into early retirement over the past year — perhaps this could have been an issue between him and the Obama administration?This news comes on the heels of the revelation, as reported by the Washington Free Beacon, that:
The major risk is that the group responsible for the deaths of four Americans last year in Benghazi — Ansar al-Sharia, affiliated with Al Qaeda — operates openly in Libya and may be included in the training.
The U.S. military is preparing to conduct military and special operations training for Libya’s military and the training will risk including Islamist terrorists among the trainees, according to the commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command. During a panel discussion on the war on terrorism at the Reagan National Defense Forum, Admiral William McRaven disclosed that the Libyan military training would include both conventional forces training and special operations training and that there will be risks. “We are going to have to assume some risks,” McRaven said. “Right now we have the authorities to do that training, and I think as a country we have to say there is probably some risk that some of the people we will be training with do not have the most clean records, but at the end of the day it is the best solution we can find to train them to deal with their own problems.”
I find it unbelievable that the lies of Benghazi have seemingly been so easily forgotten that we could now be training those associated with the deaths of US Ambassador Chris Stevens, State Department IT Specialist Sean Smith, and former Navy SEALS Ty Woods and Glenn Doherty.
There have been many incidents of terrorist infiltration into the Afghan Army turning their weapons on our American Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen. Now it seems the Obama administration is willingly placing our men and women into harm’s way.
The incompetence of Barack Obama has no end. His ill-advised, unconstitutional venture into Libya has destabilized that country. It resulted in the deaths of four Americans whom he abandoned to die. And now Obama wants us to go into the hotbed of Islamist activity — which he created — and train a vague, unaffiliated military force? People ask why I promote the impeachment, or at least the resignation of President Barack Obama. How about aiding and abetting the enemy?