This will be short and to the point. I heard President Obama say you don’t make agreements with allies; you make them with your enemies. Mr. President I must disagree. You crush your enemies or at the very least, project an image of strength to deter their actions.
President Obama also stated during a press conference at the Pentagon that we are engaged in a war of ideology, yet he said you cannot defeat an ideology with bullets, only with better ideas. Well, entering into an agreement with a country that sponsors terrorism and continues to spew hatred towards your people is not a better idea. In fact it’s a damn stupid one.
As reported by CNS News, “Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Khamenei, the Supreme Leader of Iran, gave a speech on Aug. 17 in which he said that the United States of America was the “enemy” and that Iran would confront the United States with all its power. “We will not allow the Americans to have economic or political influence in our country, nor will we allow them to have a political presence and cultural influence in our country,” said the ayatollah. “We will confront them with all our power which is thankfully great in the present time. Here are some key excerpts from the ayatollah’s speech as posted in English at Khamenei.ir:
“First, I will tell you that when we say, ‘the enemy’ we do not refer to an imaginary and fictional creature. By ‘enemy’ we mean global arrogance and arrogant powers: powers whose existence depends on dominating others, interfering in their affairs and possessing their financial and vital resources. These are arrogant powers or in other words, the leaders of global arrogance….
“If we want to give an example of who this enemy is in the outside world, we should refer to the regime of the United States of America. This regime is the epitome of global arrogance. Of course, others are part of global arrogance as well, but the clearest and the most obvious example is the regime of the United States of America. It knows nothing about human morality and it is not ashamed of committing any crime–of any nature. It covers these crimes, pressures and violent acts behind its smiles and its good and beautiful words. The manifestation of global arrogance is this regime. Therefore, when we say, “the enemy”, it means this.”Well, doggone, I’m just tickled to know we have a good idea how Iran really feels about America. And nothing says “I love you” to Ayatollah Khamenei like a Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action agreement. It’s been reported that Jewish Representative Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) will be supporting the agreement and voting for it when it comes up on the House floor in September. All I can say to each member of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate is search your soul and ask where do your loyalties lie?
The difference between a politician and our men and women in uniform is that one takes the oath of service to the Constitution, the embodiment of the American people, and is willing to lay down his or her life to fulfill that oath — to their country. The others mumble the oath as only empty words and they are only willing to serve their own individual, special or political interests.
I recently wrote a piece for CNS News, which contained these six points against Obama’s Iran deal. I urge you to share them with your liberal friends who still think it’s a good deal:
1. Iran is the number one state sponsor of Islamic terrorism and has not evidenced any desire to curtail their activities. In fact, given the Ayatollah’s comments, sounds to me like they want to ratchet it up.
2. The JCPOA does not gradually relieve economic sanctions against Iran; it does so immediately to the tune of $115 billion in unfrozen assets released to the number one sponsor of Islamic terrorism.
3. In year five, the JCPOA allows the U.N. ban on conventional weapons for Iran to expire, which means the number one state sponsor of Islamic terrorism can legally buy and sell arms. Iran, however, has already entered into talks with Russia and China to purchase new aerial refueling tankers and fighter jets, and the Chinese are seeking an exchange of the fighter jets for oil. And incidently, General Qassem Suleimani, who heads the Iranian Quds Force – a designated terrorist organization – violated an international travel ban by going to Russia to meet with their defense minister and Russian president Vladimir Putin.
4. In year eight, the JCPOA lifts the U.N. weapons ban on ballistic missiles for Iran, a country where the leadership chants “Death to Israel” and “Death to America.”
5. In year ten, Iran can return its centrifuges to full operational capability and enrich uranium. In the meantime, Iran has the authority to do its own inspections, and the original requirement of immediate, “no notification” inspections has been replaced with a 24-day advance notification process.
6. Finally, in year fifteen, the number one state sponsor of Islamic terrorism is allowed to build new nuclear reactors. We’re not stopping them; merely delaying.
I wholeheartedly invite anyone — to include President Obama himself – who supports this agreement to join me for a debate. Something tells me no one will be taking me up on that challenge — which further demonstrates other major differences between someone who has served in uniform and a politician: strength of moral conviction, courage and competence.